Billy's Barber Shop
Billy's Barber Shop first opened December 2014. It is named after Billy O. Williams. Billy was a longtime volunteer at Cartwright Grove until he could no longer help due to his health conditions. Billy is pictured with trimmers in hand ready for a victim... oops... a customer!


The barber shop contains three barber chairs. Two of the chairs are on loan to Cartwright Grove. One is from the Ray Paul Sanderson family. Ray Paul was a long time local barber on the Mayfield Court Square from 1970-1979. He also had a small shop in Wingo for awhile but then spent the remainder of his career in Murray where he retired in 2001. That's a total of 31 years in barbering.

The second chair is from the family of Eric Kennemore. The chair is a late 1940's model that was owned by Ray Howell, who was a great great uncle of Eric's. Ray was a barber for 40 years starting after WW2 in the Fremont area. He also ran a small engine repair shop that was located beside the Old Fremont School.

The last barber chair was purchased from local residents, Buddy & Betsy Petty and came from Logan County.

The old theatre chairs that are used for customers to sit in and wait their turn were purchased from an antique store in Sturgis, Kentucky on a snowy day in December 2015. They came from a cinema that was as once there in Sturgis. Gilliam Thompson Furniture donated the beautiful stone fireplace that keeps us warm during cold weather.

The mirror was purchased from Anything Goes Trading Post for $10. Tina has been a great resource to check with for hard-to-find items. There is a collection of razor blades on display in the barber shop along with old razors donated by local long time barber brothers, Charlie & Larry Reeves.